Founders’ Rock

Back to location list


A monument at the southwest corner of Hearst Ave. and Gayley Rd. marks the spot where trustees of the College of California gathered on April 16, 1860, to dedicate a new campus for higher learning. Eight years later the institution merged with the new state-chartered Agricultural, Mining and Mechanical Arts College to form the University of California; the first classes were held on the Berkeley campus in 1873.